Facebook Custom Audiences are a powerful and flexible way to target your Facebook ads to specific groups of users. You can create custom audiences from email addresses, phone numbers, Facebook user IDs, mobile app user IDs, and even your website visitors. In this post we are going to cover Website Custom Audiences from your website visitors and how they can be useful to you and your business.
What Are Website Custom Audiences?
How to Create Website Custom Audiences
Through the Facebook Interface
1. Visit the Audiences tab.
2. Click “Create Audience”
3. Choose “Custom Audience from your Website”
4. Accept the terms and create your pixel. Your pixel needs to be installed on your website between the between the head tags. You can verify it has been installed correctly with the Facebook Pixel Helper.
Next you’ll define your audience (details below). For details, visit Custom Audience FAQs.
Through the AdStage Interface
1. Launch the Facebook Custom Audience Builder app
2. Click “Create Custom Audience”
3. Select the type “From Your Website Visitors”
Next you’ll define your audience.
Ways to Define Website Custom Audiences
Most generally, you can create a Website Custom Audience that contains all your Website Users. However, this can be too broad for some use cases. Facebook offers 5 kinds of rules to drill into your visitors the way you want to.
Say you want to track everyone that hits your homepage, ‘www.adstage.io’, or everyone who hits a particular website, ‘http://www.adstage.io/features’ or ‘http://www.adstage.io/pricing’. You can use URL rules to match these URLs and segment those visitors. This is a good, broad way to build audiences of your website visitors more generally.
What if you only want to find people who hit pages on a certain domain. Use Domain rules and match on ‘blog.adstage.io’ or ‘store.example.com’, rather than just your homepage to further segment those who visit pages on your different domains.
Instead of including a whole URL, you can match or even partial match on a url path. For example you could make a rule for any path that contains ‘signup’ and capture anyone on ’signup’ or ’signup/thankyou’ or ‘signup/payment’.
By Event (AdStage Exclusive)
Custom Rules (AdStage Exclusive)
Using different combinations of the above rules to create Custom Audiences will give you specific and flexible targeting that continues to stay relevant as more and more users visit and interact with your website.
To access event tracking for Facebook Website Custom Audiences, sign up for AdStage here!
Nico is a Software Engineer at AdStage. He earned his Computer Science degree at Penn with an Engineering Entrepreneurship minor. Proud of being a protean developer, his past projects include web apps, a 3D renderer, a compiler, and mobile games. He previously worked in France in industry, California in a start-up, and a farm in hay baling.
- How to Add Facebook Custom Audiences in Your Marketing Automation Mix As online marketers, we know that marketing automation using email is one of the most popular ways to reach and...
- Everything You Need to Know: Facebook Engagement Custom Audiences Facebook Custom Audiences for Engagement Facebook recently released another enhancement to Custom Audience targeting, Engagement Custom Audiences. The Facebook Engagement...
- Custom Audiences in Yahoo Gemini, Last Minute Tips For Holiday Ad Extensions, & More… This Week in Ad Tech: Check out this week’s news, how-tos, and trends from the world of online advertising. FOR...
- AdWords Updates, New Facebook Custom Audience, and More… This Week in Ad Tech: Check out this week’s news, how-tos, and trends from the world of online advertising. FOR...