In the effort to make advertisers’ lives easier, Twitter recently announced the release of Ad Groups. The latest feature now puts the ad network at parity with Facebook Ad Sets and Google AdWords Ad Groups. Advertisers can now build an additional layer of segmentation for more flexibility in testing and more measurement visibility to track trends. If you’ve been running Twitter Ads in AdStage for the past year, you’re in good hands to adjust to the campaign structure update.
The new Twitter Ad Groups will require a few campaign structure updates. Here’s a list of what’s offered in Ad Groups and what’s staying at the Campaign level:
Best Practices: Focus Your Targeting
When testing targeting options on Twitter Ads, it’s imperative you understand how to apply the and/or logic at the Ad Group level. The combinations of targeting determines whether or not you receive the purest data from your campaigns tests.
Under the umbrella of Ad Group targeting on targeting is a hierarchy of AND categories and OR categories.
Below is the breakdown of AND/OR Categories:
Select Gender and Geo:
- (Male) AND (US OR GB)
Select Gender, Geo, Interest:
- (Female) AND (CA) AND (Computers OR Technology OR Startups)
Select Gender, Geo, Interest, Tailored Audiences, Keywords:
- (Male) AND (GB) AND (Cars ∪ Tailored Audiences for CRM ∪ autocross)
We recommend using the same AND targeting types across all your ad groups. For the most accurate data view, only pair your campaign with one OR targeting type to see how the OR variable performs against your ads. This will allow you to fine-tune your target audience and better spend going forward with client campaigns.
Want to keep up with the latest PPC trends, tips, and influencers?
Join us every Tuesday Live @ 10am PT || 1pm ET for #PPCPodcast where we chat with industry experts from Microsoft, LinkedIn, Hanapin Marketing, Google and more.
Subscribe below to get updates every Tuesday and to tune in! [cta id=”10860″ align=”none”]
Jana is a Product Marketer at AdStage. She studied at San Francisco State University and the University of Bradford. After receiving her B.S. in marketing at the age of 19, she spent several years at various startups in the ad tech industry. With over 8 years of experience, Jana recently joins us from Twitter where she led sales marketing to support the growth of publisher inventory and ad spend on the mobile ad exchange product.
- Using Ad Groups for Segmentation on Twitter Ads If you’re familiar with Google AdWords or Facebook Ads, you’re probably used to breaking out your campaigns into ad groups...
- Twitter Ad Groups, Product Ads on Yahoo, AdWords Structured Headlines, & More… This Week in Ad Tech: Check out this week’s news, how-tos, and trends from the world of online advertising. FOR...
- Twitter Targeting Tactics That Get Results A Twitter post has a relatively short shelf-life, commonly referred to as its decay rate. In our experience, Twitter Ads...