Google Sheets have quickly become a valuable tool for marketers. And with the addition of Google Sheets add-ons are one the most powerful automation tools marketers have at their disposal.
Personally, I’m a huge fan of Google Sheets. I still love Excel’s workflow and power. However, with the right add-ons, I can automatically conduct keyword research, pull monthly campaign reports, merge CRM data, analyze the data, and run predictive models. Plus, I can do all of this without having to cobble together multiple reports, and it’s saved in the cloud which makes it easier for collaboration.
So how can you do this? Below I’ve listed out the best Google Sheets add-ons designed for marketers. Some are free and others require a fee or subscription. Either way give them all a try and unlock the power of Google Sheets.
21 of the Best Google Sheets Add-Ons for Marketers
Solve resource allocation problems with linear and mixed-integer programming, nonlinear optimization, and evolutionary algorithms.
With the Solver Add-on, created by Frontline Systems, developers of the Solver in Microsoft Excel, you can define and solve many types of optimization problems in Google Sheets, just as you can with the Excel Solver.
You can solve linear programming and mixed-integer programming problems with the Simplex LP Solver, nonlinear optimization problems with the GRG Nonlinear Solver, global optimization problems with the multistart method, and 'arbitrary' Sheets models containing any numeric formulas with the Evolutionary Solver.
Easily pull all your Paid Search and Paid Social data into Google Sheets.
Stop manually exporting data from all those ad networks! Starting at just $29/month, AdStage for Google Sheets lets you instantly add your paid marketing performance data into Google Sheets.
- Get your PPC performance data from Google Adwords, Facebook Ads, Bing Ads, Twitter Ads, LinkedIn Ads and Google Analytics.
- Pull in information about your ad campaigns like Campaign Type, Status, and Campaign, Ad Group and Ad Id.
- Get cross-network SEM data in a single table or chart.
- Customize your reporting views with performance data organized by AdStage Account Groups or Folders.
- Use our A/B Testing template to find your best performing campaigns, ad group or ads.
- Give others access to your reports & dashboards.
Supported sources in this product include:
- Google AdWords
- Bing Ads
- Facebook Ads & Instagram Ads
- Twitter Ads
- LinkedIn Ads
- Yahoo Gemini
- Google Analytics
- Conversion data you’ve passed to the AdStage Data API
Pricing starts at just $29/month. Start your free AdStage trial!
The BigML add-on brings the power of the Machine Learning models and clusters in BigML to your Google Spreadsheets. The add-on provides an easy access to the models and clusters under your account in BigML within the Google Sheet. Using them, the blank cells in your datasheet can be filled with the predictions that the model can extract from the known values in each data row.
No matter your technical background, this add-on gives you the power of engineering and data science - and all you need are your spreadsheet skills. BlockSpring is not free, it's a subscription for $15/ month.
Blockspring features you won't want to miss. Instantly get data:
- Pull data from apps like Twitter, scrape websites with import.io, get government info using Socrata, financial info using Quandl, all without leaving Google Sheets.
Add custom functions to Google Sheets using R, Python, Ruby, PHP, and JS:
- Are you a developer? Skip the restrictions of Google Scripts and extend Google Sheets with custom functions using your favorite language. These functions don't just work with Google, they automatically work with Excel too!
Machine learning, simplified:
- Extract concepts from text, run world-class image recognition... take advantage of the world's most powerful algorithms without programming.
Share data between Excel, your local databases, Salesforce, and Google Sheets, without importing or exporting!
We publish Connectors that will bring your data in and out of Sheets from Excel, Salesforce, or your local MySQL, Sql Server, Access, Oracle, or PostgreSQL databases. We also have a Google Forms add-on that can send data directly to all of these destinations.
Data Everywhere is a cloud database for spreadsheet data. Open your spreadsheet, highlight the data you want to share, and Publish your Data Feed.
You can share the data with anyone, all you need is an email address. Just add the new users as viewers or editors of your feed.
Our new Automatic Publish and Refresh feature makes it easy to automatically sync your data as well. You won't need to even have the Google Sheet open in order to get data transferred.
This addon to Google Spreadsheets will let you pull any data from Salesforce.com and schedule automatic refresh of that data even when you're offline.
Pull a report, set up your update schedule (can be hourly, daily, weekly (on specified days), or monthly), then share the document with any number of non-salesforce users in Google Drive and they will all have access to almost live data coming from your Salesforce.com org.
With this Google connector you will save a lot of time by doing Salesforce data loads, queries, mass updates and insert not from Salesforce, but directly from your Google Spreadsheets.
You'll be able to pull data directly from Salesforce.com using a custom query or by simply pulling a report you'd previously created in Salesforce.com.
You can edit the data and push it back to Salesforce using Update command.
You can also import new data to Salesforce.com from your existing Google Spreadsheets using the Insert command.
- Great for SLT reporting, data manipulation, data migration and data cleanup.
- Schedule automatic refreshes of a Salesforce.com report or data pulled via SOQL. The updates are running even when you're offline!
- Keep historical data by creating report snapshots in your Google Drive automatically up to every hour.
- Run metrics on your data up to once an hour and send out alerts to multiple people if a metric is off
Powered by the AYLIEN Text Analysis API, this add-on brings a package of easy to use Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning tools to your Spreadsheets to allow you to quickly and easily analyze any text. Let our Text Analysis add-on transform your Spreadsheet into a powerful easy-to-use Text Analysis Tool!
Whether you’re a savvy marketer or a seasoned data junkie the AYLIEN Text Analysis Add-on for Google Sheets allows you to analyze text with no programming or Text Analysis expertise in a matter of minutes.
AYLIEN Text Analysis for Google Sheets allows Analysts, Marketers and Researchers to Analyze text with no technical programming experience. Use our Text Analysis add-on to analyze documents, news articles, Tweets and URL’s from within your spreadsheet.
- Summarize and Classify documents and articles
- Analyze the Sentiment of Tweets
- Extract context and entities from any text
- 6 languages supported
Getting started is easy and you can be up and running in a matter of minutes. Check out our walkthroughs and videos on our tutorial page.
Statistical analysis in Google Sheets, with functions matching the Analysis ToolPak in desktop Excel.
With the XLMiner Analysis ToolPak Add-on, you can easily perform statistical analyses of the same types available in the Analysis ToolPak add-in that has been part of Microsoft Excel for over 20 years, and has been featured in large numbers of textbooks, videos, statistics courses and the like.
The add-on provides all 19 interactive functions included in the Excel Analysis ToolPak, plus a 20th function often requested by users, logistic regression. Sidebar input fields and output on the spreadsheet will be very familiar to Excel Analysis ToolPak users.
The 20 functions are:
- ANOVA: Single Factor
- ANOVA: Two-Factor with Replication
- ANOVA: Two-Factor without Replication
- Descriptive Statistics
- Exponential Smoothing
- F-Test Two-Sample for Variances
- Fourier Analysis
- Linear Regression
- Logistic Regression
- Moving Average
- Random Number Generation
- Rank and Percentile
- t-Test: Paired Two-Sample for Means
- t-Test: Two-Sample Assuming Equal Variances
- t-Test: Two-Sample Assuming Unequal Variances
- z-Test: Paired Two-Sample for Means
Results will generally match the Excel Analysis ToolPak, as seen in many textbooks, screen images and videos. The add-on's Random Number Generation function uses the Mersenne Twister algorithm.
Scan two sheets for the same values based on key columns and update your main table with the missing information.
Five simple steps of the Merge Sheets wizard will guide you through the process of joining data from two tables. If you have at least one common identifier column in both sheets, e.g. product ID, the add-on will insert all the missing information for the same records in your main table.
- Select the table you want to update and the one to pull information from
- Define common columns the add-on can use to find the same records
- Choose the columns to update or add to your main sheet
The merge assistant will do the rest. It will quickly compare key columns and find the necessary updates, no vlookup formulas needed. You can highlight changes with color, work only with the empty cells, and have all new records added to the end of the table. When the merge is complete, you'll see the summary of all changes that the add-on has made.
You can use this tool whenever you need to compare two sheets and bring the latest changes to your table.
Flexible, easy to use document merge tool that creates PDF or shared Documents from spreadsheet data. Automate the creation and sharing of personalized documents with autoCrat.
AutoCrat is a multi-purpose document merge tool that allows you to take data from a spreadsheet and merge it into a document via a template. Tell autoCrat which fields to merge via <<merge tags>> and then let autoCrat mass-generate personalized documents. Optionally send the documents as email attachments. Optionally tell autoCrat to run when new forms are submitted to created truly automated processes.
In response to user feedback and demand, the new version of autoCrat now has the following upgrades and new features:
- A single, simpler user interface. We got rid of the sidebar. Everything happens through the primary dialogue.
- More modern design/interface.
- Cleaner code under the hood. Hopefully you notice faster performance and more reliable triggers.
- Single document mode. You can now produce a single document for a merge job. E.g. a single doc or PDF, with each row of data that meets your job criteria merged into it. Previously you could only create one document per row of data. This was one of the most asked for feature requests. (NOTE: This only works for docs at the moment, not spreadsheets)
- Image merge. You can now merge images into your docs from a publicly hosted image URL.
- Hyperlink merge. Easily add hyperlinks to your merged Google docs.
11. Google Analytics
Access all of your Google Analytics data in Google Spreadsheets.
The Google Analytics spreadsheet add-on brings you the power of the Google Analytics API combined with the power of data manipulation in Google Spreadsheets. With this tool, you can:
- Query data from multiple views (profiles).
- Create custom calculations from your report data.
- Create dashboards with embedded data visualizations.
- Schedule reports to run automatically so your data is always current.
- Easily control who can see these data and visualizations by leveraging Google Spreadsheet’s existing sharing and privacy features.
Retrieve data and create automatic backups from Google Search Console into Google Sheets.
Search Analytics for Sheets allows you to:
1. Retrieve query, page, clicks and other data on-demand for any of your verified websites from Google Search Console directly into Google Sheets.
- supports grouping and filtering data by "Query", "Page", "Country" and "Device"
- offers data on "Clicks", "Impressions", "CTR" and "Position"
- allows up to 5000 rows of data per request
2. Create automatic data backups in Google Sheets so you're no longer constrained by the 90 days Search Analytics limitation
- backup monthly Google Search Console data for any site in its own spreadsheet
- create unlimited number of backups
- create both aggregated-data backups as well as grouped/filtered backups
The introduction of Wolfram|Alpha defined a fundamentally new paradigm for getting knowledge and answers—not by searching the web, but by doing dynamic computations based on a vast collection of built-in data, algorithms and methods.
Bringing broad, deep, expert-level knowledge to everyone… anytime, anywhere.
In your spreadsheet, go to the “Wolfram|Alpha for Sheets” Add-on menu and select “Open Wolfram|Alpha Sidebar” to get immediate access to the computational power and knowledge of Wolfram|Alpha.
Whenever you feel like you are wasting too much energy on monotonous repetitive work, you realize there must be a better solution. Power Tools takes the burden of such problems off your shoulders.
Here you'll find the features you miss most.
- One-click solutions for the most popular tasks: change case, sum by color, and more
- Merge records, split text with the special tools you get
- Delete duplicates and any redundant values
- Discover plenty other time-savers that come with the add-on
Power Tools will streamline all the routine operations in spreadsheets, show your recent actions and keep a list of your favorites so that you can re-apply them to other cells at any time.
At last - it’s quick and easy to create equations, graphs, stats displays and math quizzes to insert in Google Docs or Sheets.
g(Math) can create graphs from data in spreadsheet cells, or plot directly from a list of points you enter. And it can instantly visualize statistical data as histograms, bar charts and box-and-whisker plots, too.
Write virtually any mathematical expression directly on your PC or Chromebook’s keyboard or touchscreen. Input’s easy: you don’t need to know any math code or programming languages. g(Math) understands what you’re typing, instantly turning your expressions into clear, accurate on-screen formulas.
You can save even more time by picking from a huge range of ready-made formulas and functions, including quadratic equations, matrices and more. Then insert your expression into any spreadsheet cell or doc with a simple click.
If you’d prefer to dictate your equations or formulas, there is a Speech Input function within the Add-on. With these features, you can cater the tool to your unique learning style.
Quickly create and insert flowchart, UML, wireframe, mind map, and more diagrams directly into a Google document.
The easiest way to draw flowcharts, mockups, UML, mind maps and more. Work together in real time with your team and clients.
With the Lucidchart add-on for Google Sheets, you can quickly:
- Create and edit Lucidchart documents from Sheets
- Insert diagrams directly into a Google Sheet
- Update inserted diagrams with latest changes made in Lucidchart
Lucidchart is an HTML5-based visual collaboration tool that makes drawing diagrams fast and easy. Work together with an unlimited number of others to create and edit diagrams in real time, with changes merged and synced instantaneously -- great for team collaboration and working with clients.
Build charts in Google Sheets based on data from Google BigQuery. Easy online integration without CSV. 100% Google Cloud Platform.
* Create your own collection of queries
- Analysts or developers can save queries with the preset variables that you need.
* No CSV export needed
- Seamless extraction of query results to Google Sheets.
* Build charts
- Visualize, works with and share data while enjoying the benefits of Google Sheets.
* Scheduled updates
- Update your reports and dashboards regularly
* Upload results to Google BigQuery
- Use data from your sheets in your queries
18. Table Styles
Apply a uniform style to your tables in one click, add your own custom style templates. Table Styles add-on lets you quickly apply a professional and uniform look to your tables in Google Sheets.
You can select your data and use one of predefined styles that come with the add-on. The templates are very flexible in use as they let you apply format only of those table elements that you check off.
If your company uses custom colors, select an existing table and add its style to your collection. You can also create your formatting template from scratch and use it in any spreadsheet: add borders, change font and background color in any table part like header or first row stripe.
Besides 24 pre-supplied styles, the current version keeps three of the most recent styles you create active. At the same time the add-on gives you the possibility to edit or delete all your custom templates to keep them up-to-date.
Get all your SEM, SEO & social media data into Google Sheets
Supermetrics for Google Sheets is a powerful add-on that turns Google Sheets into a full-blown business reporting system for SEM, SEO, web analytics and social media.
With this tool, you can:
- Get metrics from multiple sources into Google Sheets. We provide integration for Google Analytics, Adwords, Facebook Ads, Bing Ads, Twitter Ads and dozens of other platforms listed below
- Refresh reports automatically or by a click of a button.
- Create professional-looking reports with our pre-made templates
- Schedule automatic emailing as PDF, Excel, CSV or HTML, or give others access to your reports & dashboards.
- Avoid Google Analytics data sampling and the 90-day limit of Google Search Console data
20. Clearbit Sheets
Create targeted email lists and qualify leads in seconds.
Want to create targeted email lists in a few minutes? Or automate research across all your web signups? Clearbit’s software is the first to fully automate both lead generation and research.
Select emails in Google Sheets and, with one click, process them through Clearbit populating the spreadsheet with the researched leads. Clearbit returns any public social information they can find connected to an email, such as a Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn account. Clearbit also returns any company information associated with the email’s domain, such as number of employees, investment, market categories and location.
This product has an initial free trial, and is then $129/month from then on.
21. Twitter Archiver
Search Twitter for any keyword or hashtag and save matching tweets in a Google Sheet. It polls Twitter every hour for new tweets.
Twitter Archiver lets you easily save tweets for any search keyword or hashtag in a Google Spreadsheet. Enter a search query, or an hashtag, and all matching tweets are automatically saved in the Google Sheet. You can write simple queries, use boolean search or include advanced Twitter search operators to create more complex queries.
Twitter Archiver can be used for saving tweets around trending hashtags, conference tweets, your brand mentions, geo-tagged tweets, and more. It polls twitter every hour and pulls all the matching tweets into the Google Spreadsheet
Bonus Chrome Extension
For making it this far, I saved the best for last. Catalytics replaces people on the Google Analytics homepage with surly looking cats. Great for playing jokes on our co-workers who leave their computer unlocked while away from their desk. ;)
And there you have it. 22 super powerful Google Sheets add-ons waiting for you to put them to use. I hope you’ve already installed a couple while reading through this post. There are literally thousands of add-ons available, but these are my favorite or at least the most relevant for me as a marketer.
Which one of these is your favorite? Did I miss your favorite add-on? Let me know in the comments!