Instagram ads have come along way since they first started to test ads in user feeds in late 2013. They now have over five different ad types for advertisers to choose from.
One reason for Instagram’s rapid adoption among advertisers is the pipeline of 6 million active advertisers on Facebook. As Facebook’s News Feed faces maximum ad capacity, they’re pushing marketers to experiment with Instagram Ads since there’s more available inventory. And marketers looking for more audience reach are turning to Instagram as they same targeting capabilities as Facebook.
But a question marketers are quick to ask is, how much do Instagram Ads cost? Well, we have an answer.
Instagram Ads Costs 2017
In a brand new report from AdStage, we take an in-depth look at the PPC benchmarks and trends that matter to you and your digital advertising strategy. In Q3, we analyzed over 200 million Instagram ad impressions. Based on AdStage data, we found for Instagram ads the average CPM was $13.92, the average CPC was $1.94, and the average CTR was 0.99% in Q3’17.
- The average CPM on Instagram ads increased 72% since Q1’17
- The average CPC on Instagram ads decreased 35% since Q1’17
- The average CTR for Instagram ads increased 44% since Q1’17
Instagram’s Supply and Demand
Facebook’s ad impressions are flat while ad spend is moving up. This tells us advertisers are paying more to enter the auction while getting the same number of impressions.
Instagram’s CPC Decrease 35%
Based on our data, we saw CPCs increase by 35% over the first nine months of 2017.
The biggest correlation in our CPC data was when Instagram announced new objectives for Stories Ads on May 25th.
When first rolling out ads in Instagram Stories, we began by focusing on the Reach objective to help businesses better target and reach the people they wanted to connect with. But over the past three months these capabilities have greatly expanded, giving businesses the ability to purchase ads in Instagram Stories across additional objectives—Video Views, Traffic (formerly known as Website Clicks), Conversions and Mobile App Install. As a result, stories has become a full-funnel solution for a growing spectrum of business objectives.
With the rapid growth in users, advertisers, and the strong adoption of new ad features like Stories ads, Instagram is poised to make a splash in 2018.
The exclusive Q3 2017 PPC Benchmark Report gives unprecedented PPC insights and trends into what’s happening on the major ad platforms. Just click on the button below to access full 78-page report.
JD is the Director of Growth Marketing at AdStage. He’s a savvy marketer, digital strategist, and avid cyclist. A stereotypical coffee snob and recovering Coloradan, he’s a creative thinker who sees the big picture but loves getting lost in the details.
- Facebook Unlocks Instagram Ads For All When Facebook acquired Instagram in 2012, digital marketers certainly took notice. Many, like myself, were curious to see how the...
- The Ultimate Guide to Instagram Ad Reporting With more than 400 million daily users, Instagram is one of the world’s largest social networks, behind only Facebook and...
- Facebook CPMs Increase 171% In 2017 [Report] Over the last year, we’ve analyzed over 8.8 billion Facebook ad impressions. We found that during the first six months,...
- Twitter CPMs Increase 27% In 2017 [Report] We analyzed over 3.5 billion Twitter ad impressions from January to June 2017. Based on our data, we saw CPMs...